Sunday, May 17, 2009

This is Our Time

I've been seriously slacking on this blog.

Partially, internet is a limited affair, and when I'm inspired to write something, usually I'll have to wait to update, and by the time internet becomes available, I'd much rather download and watch Arrested Development.

Partially, I'm not driven to write so often because I don't feel like I have too much to write or update on. I don't like to write about my daily, mundane goings-on because that's boring for you and me.

But who am I kidding, I've become lazy. Even writing a blog entry is kind of a hassle. Even planning for future traveling is an unpleasant task.

This Tuesday marks the four month anniversary of my arrival in Spain. I've been here for four months and to be quite honest, this will break my parents' hearts, but I really don't feel like I have too much to show for it all.

Cadiz is fantastic. It's beautiful and slow-paced.

My life here is so easy, and often I find myself sitting in sun-dappled, leafy plazas for hours on end in the bright sunlight, watching little children run around with precariously topped ice cream cones and sticky lollipops, and I think to myself, how wonderful my life is.

Sometimes, I sit on top of my friend's rooftop with a view of the golden domed cathedral, which brings back memories of Jerusalem without the underlying tensions and strain. She'll be hanging her laundry to dry in the brisk sea breeze like a true gaditana, another friend will be pouring herself another cocktail at 4 pm., and I'll lean over the ledges to watch the people walk by below in the narrow alleys and think to myself, life is too good.

Other times, I walk out of my two-hours of Spanish class (which is really more like 40 minutes of total teaching time) and head the thirty feet straight to sprawl on the beach while watching the sun-streaked sky slowly fade into dusk against the silhouette of the sea-side castle promenade. And then I think to myself, what a life I have.

It is a Sunday afternoon, and having gotten home last night at five am., I'm taking it easy. Delicious aromas waft from the kitchen as Rosa (host mom) is in the kitchen making a traditional Spanish stew. I'm in the salon reaping the benefits of neighbors who have wifi (thanks, THOMSON) reading up on newspapers and celebrity gossip while Spanish television blares mindlessly in the background. And the streets below are bustling with Sunday afternoon pedestrians yelling to each other from windows while the dogs incessantly bark in rounds.

I've lost much of my Hebrew, and despite my Moroccan Arabic class, I still feel as though much of my Arabic has also been buried under new random Gaditano colloquialisms. I've finished at least eight books-all of them for leisure. I have two weeks left of classes, but then again, class attendance has always been optional.

Most days, I spend in a nearby plaza reading and people watching. I'll go to class as an escape from boredom. Or I'll trek to the beach and greet the beach hippie/sand sculptor extraordinaire. Then I'll sit on the docks and watch the fishermen scrub down their boats while others commence an impromptu flamenco clap.

It seems that during the day, I sit around and impatiently wait for the day to end so that the night can begin. Whether the night means internet connection or going out with friends for dinner and drinks, the clear sunlight of these long days is both beautiful and mocking.

Days here are long, lovely, and lonely. I have a lot of alone time to think about god knows what. I've checked off several books from my reading list. I'm a regular lone fixture on the old walls overlooking the ocean as I spend hours brooding about how wonderfully dull my life is in Cadiz.

One more month and then I'm home.

I'll end on this note:

Tif, always the voice of optimisim and reason. And it's not just Cadiz.

Tif: "Well, as fruitless as life is now, it's never going to be as obligation-less and wonderful as it is now. I'm so lonely, but i need to keep reminding myself that i'm going to miss this lonely down time. When am i ever going to get time like this to sleep in everyday and watch endless movies?"
Me: "This is our vacation, right? Before life starts?"
Tif: "YES-before life starts. This is like OUR TIME. Before money gets complicated, and responsibilities become endless."

2 comments:

TiffJung said...

your life in cadiz is wonderful, it really is.

wow i really said those things?

Stacy said...

Yup-I copy and pasted our skype convo :) you sage, you.